Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Finding Apples.

Another busy day today, after a slow start Sam an I made some chocolate crispy cakes complete with mixed in marshmallows and one more on top for good measure. When they had hardened in the fridge I tried one and nearly lost my bottom row of teeth, they go rock hard and the bits of cornflake sticking out quite easily could be mistaken for razor blades, I must be getting old to struggle with a cornflake cake....

And here is Sam with his trays of treats, and this evening as I write this they are all gone.

We had our tea and went for a stroll around the park with my Mum and my Brother in the hope of finding some trees with nuts on, while we strolled the children ran like puppies off the lead in and around all the trees and through the long grass. Sam, the proud owner of two blackberries...

This one is only half ripe...

We found some very strange looking fruit on this tree, ready to fall at any moment..And as the sun started to set we walked back home passing a alleyway behind the houses which had some red apples hanging, so with Mums stick she bashed a few down for us to try, along with a few leaves and possibly an earwig or two. No doubt when I get ready for bed I shall find a few more bits and pieces down my top...

So here is our bounty for the day, a bag of blackberries, the red apples, two walnuts (not ready yet) a small conker, a cob nut (not ready either) possibly beech nuts (need to look them up) and acorns..

The walnuts need longer on the tree but at least we know where to find them, same with the cob nuts. When we had cut open the apples this is what we found.
Very pretty and probably called something so I'll have to look this one up aswell, still not a bad find today and the children are worn out and now ready for bed..hard work this foraging lark...

1 comment: