Monday, 10 January 2011

Pointless soup

This following picture is not, I repeat not a picture of soup....

This is a picture that I forgot to add to a previous post about puss cats.

This is Florrie giving Penny a hug in an Amazon box... awwwwww!






And this was my dinner last night, it is a recipe that was told to us many years ago, by someone who once came to stay for a weekend and then became part of the family. Thank you Paul for this yummy concoction that you made up and shared with us. It can be eaten warm or cold, in a sandwich or I like it in a jacket potato.

It is a tin of tuna, drained, about half a tin of beans and half an onion chopped and gently fried until it starts to soften. I like chunks of onion so I don't cut it too small and I like it with a bit of bite so I won't cook it too long.. omm nom nom...


Then you just mix it gently so as not to make it too mushy and heat it through,
then eat..


This is the beginnings of soup, Pointless soup..



As you can see there is a cauliflower with leaves (I like the leaves so I keep them on) two orange peppers, a red onion, a butternut squash, a pack of celery and I used three large carrots.




I chopped them all up into chunks. I don't even peel the carrots I just top and tail them and chop them up. Everything is big and chunky. I used my jam pan, which is huge, to cook this in.
I filled it with water so it was just covered, I reckon about three or four pints and then I dissolved two vegetable stock cubes in boiling water and poured that in too. I stirred it all up and brought it to the boil and then reduced the heat and let it simmer for about and hour.
When it has all softened and cooled slightly, there seems to be a lot of water but that's OK. I then get the hand blender and blitz the living daylights out of it so it is like puree. It is up to each individuals taste, if you like lumps just don't blitz it too much.

Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste and Viola !! done.

It is called Pointless soup because when Mum and I used to go to Weight watchers all the vegetables were pointless, you could use any combination and make soup.
Me, being me, put in all the vegetables I could find and made pointless soup..



It has made about 12 portions of soup, most of which I have frozen and the rest Katie and I polished off. Sam will not touch any vegetables apart from sweetcorn, however he woofed down a bowl of this in two seconds flat.
He said "it was lovely but it's a shame it makes the house smell..."
Thank you Sam...not.



Before I go I would like to show you the amount of crockery and cutlery that I found in Jim's room. (ok, not the slow cooker or the microwave). I swear he is secretly running a midnight cafe in his room when everyone has gone to bed. The kitchen cupboards were getting bare, even when I had washed and wiped up, there was so much missing.
That's what you have to look forward to with teenage boys, delightful creatures.
And it took him ages to wash it all up too....


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


2 comments:

  1. Completely sympathise with you re the crockery in the bedroom. Whenever my 20 year old daughter comes home from Uni we notice the mugs, plates, bowls and cutlery gradually disappearing. When I ask whether she has any in her room she always says 'no', very indignantly. Guess what I find once she's gone back again? As much as you found and more. I always say that once she has her own home I'm gonna go stay with her and put all of HER cups and plates in my room. That'll teach her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Thank you for your comment, it amazes me that so much stuff can collect in his room and it not get in his way, every square inch of his floor and work surfaces are covered with cups and plates. Or worse still dirty clothing and left over food and wrappers, despite there being a laundry bag and a bin in there, Kids eh??

    ReplyDelete