Tuesday, 5 April 2011

The amazing plumber said so...

In my previous post I mentioned that my amazing plumber had noticed I had a leak on my hot water cylinder. I phoned the council while he was still here but heard nothing from them until Monday afternoon, when unannounced a man came to see what was the problem.. He was a rather unusual looking and small man, I apologise in advance for any offence I may cause in describing him but he was a rather small Indian man, smaller than me anyway and had a balding head but with black fuzzy hair on top, googly eyes a pot belly and a lisp... He initially said he would see where the water was leaking from and would tighten the pipes with his wrench to see if that would stop it. The amazing plumber had said that the pipes were corroded and the valve handles were missing. The amazing plumber said I needed a new cylinder.... The little man got out his tool box and with his wrench, entered the airing cupboard... He banged around for a little while and said he would just tighten up the pipes... After a moment and few more bangs, he went quiet and then he said "Bloody Bugger"... Now, I know it's childish of me but, bugger is my favourite swear word and so I quietly laughed to myself... I then heard the sound of a jet of water squirting out against the wall and the little man came out looking a bit worried.. He actually said " I think I have made it worse" "No shit Sherlock!!" (obviously I didn't say it, but I thought it) The amazing plumber wouldn't have done this... As he ran to his van to get his hose and ladder I snapped a shot of his toolbox...




And then a photo of the water squirting out of the top of the hot water cylinder....





He came back looking rather flustered and had his phone to his ear talking to a colleague of his about what to do..


He came off the phone and said that even if he tightened the pipe he thought I needed a new cylinder.


"Really.....??? but we still need to stop the water...like now" said I..


"Yes" was all he said and he kept looking at the water squirting out..


So I said "How about if you turn off the stopcock in the loft and we run the hot water taps??"


"Yes, I think we should do that" he said...


He clambered into the loft turned off the hot water stopcock while I ran the hot water taps..





Eventually the water stopped squirting and the tap ran dry.. I filled the washing up bowl with the last of the hot water.. The little plumber has ordered me a new cylinder but can't tell me when it will be fitted as they don't keep them in stock...


The lady from the council will call me..


Luckily the weather is not really cold and so heating is not an issue. This morning we all had a kettle full of water each to wash with. It will be OK for a few days but any longer and we will be becoming a tad smelly, Mum if you are reading this we might all need a shower by Friday. We will form an orderly queue, bring our own towels and a penny each for the meter.........


And I knew we needed a new cylinder, the amazing plumber said so..


In other news...


The kids are off school from Thursday for two weeks and that will be nice.


My seeds are growing well but I accidentally left out the seed packets in the greenhouse/trampoline and now they are all wet, better get planting again then....


Jim made himself a sandwich after he had fed the cats and did not wipe the worktop clean. He didn't realise at first, but when he did he just shrugged his shoulders and ate his sandwich anyway...



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear - it's sounds as if Brain of Britain came to pay you a visit from the council! I hope things get sorted for you quickly and without any more spilt water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought long and hard to find the words of comfort and solace to give you and thought even harder about how to get a quick solution. But all I could come up with was......................................................*tee hee*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Thank you for you words of comfort.....
    I have laughed at many of the things that have happened lately, simply because if I don't, I might cry. You have got to see the funny side or else you will go mad...They are coming Friday to fix the cylinder, that should be fun... :)

    ReplyDelete