Friday, 15 April 2011

Hospital visit..

Yesterday I went to Hertford County Hospital to see the surgeon about my back problems. My Uncle Eddy took me in his car and I had the pleasure of meeting his brother Ted and his wife Barbara. They traveled with us to Hertford. They were very nice and we spent the journey chatting about all sorts of things.. Our conversations were a welcome distraction as I was quite anxious about what the surgeon would suggest.. We arrived at the Hospital nice and early and I waited for my appointment which was for 3:30pm At 3:45pm the receptionist said the clinic was running 15 minutes late. I know these things usually run late so that wasn't too bad. By 4pm she came out again and said the clinic was running 30 minutes late, so if my appointment was for 3:30pm and it was now 4pm I should be called soon.. I phoned Uncle Eddy and let him know I was running late. He had unfortunately left his mobile at home. So my Auntie Hazel, who was at home, took the message and relayed it to Barbra in the car, who did have her mobile.... The receptionist came out again shortly after and said the they were now running 50 minutes late. Everyone in the waiting room huffed and sighed. One lady was questioning the receptionist as to why things were running so late and we all listened in... apparently they always over book appointments as sometimes people do not turn up. Today however, the three people that had been booked for 2pm had all turned up, as had all the others for their time slots.... Instead of the surgeon seeing 30 people today he had seen over 50 and by 4pm still hadn't had any lunch.... I sat patiently and read a news magazine from cover to cover, I saw some interesting articles. One article was about a man had been drinking and decided it would be a good idea to go for a drive. This was some famous person but I had never heard of them before. Anyway, He had been drinking heavily at home but he decided he wanted to go out. He jumped into his RV (he lives on a ranch) and drove off. When he got to the intersection, he realises he is being followed by a large silver car, so he puts his foot down and speeds up..... the car behind is right up behind him and so, thinking it is newspaper reporters or something, he tries to loose them by turning off different ways and going really fast. Eventually he can't shake them and so when he stops at the next traffic lights, he jumps out of his car to give them a piece of his mind... Only to realise he has been towing his own horse box with two very worried ponies inside.... Another article was about how 4 strands of Michael Jackson's hair were been auctioned for $350 each..... So, back to the story.... I eventually got to see the surgeon and he was very nice and apologised for the delay...







He looked at my scans and MRI images. That always makes me feel queasy when he runs the images in and out so I concentrated on the clip in his hair that was holding on his skull cap....







He said although I was fairly young, the fracture, disc degeneration and slipped discs were more likely to be seen in someone much older, like 20 years older...





(This is not my back, but is very much like it..)


He told me of my options...


The most invasive would be surgery, to pin and plate the fracture, secondly a needle permanently placed in the spine to administer medication. This carries a risk of infection and surgery carries a risk of paralysis as well as a long recovery period.


These would be last resort options....


He said we need to try all the simple alternatives first...(phew)


So, let's not beat around the bush, I am rather rotund and carry a lot of excess weight... I'm not daft, I am very overweight. So that will be the first thing on the list, loose weight...


With an under active thyroid problem that will not be easy. HOWEVER I had lost five stone before, admittedly it was about six years ago, but I have done it, so it is not impossible....


He looked me in the eye and said "You need to do this"...


That is the kind of motivation that I need, someone or even myself to say something that sticks in my head, I repeat it to myself and it spurs me on to not give up...


Loosing weigh for me is not just about the food I put in my mouth. It is about how I feel about that food... I have a poor image of myself and so I either reward or punish myself with food... I need to overcome this too, I have to cultivate an attitude towards food that is both healthy and constructive. I'm getting there but it is hard, alot of my weight gain is because of how my mind works as well as what my stomach tells me.


He will also change my medication to a nerve pain relief, as the co-codamol and diclofenac isn't quite hitting the spot..







So, out will come the Weight Watchers books, dusted off and ready for action...


Thankfully, I love fruit and vegetables. Which is weird because as a child my Mum would despair of me that I would only eat sausages and drink orange juice...





Out will go the cookies and biscuits...






As well as the cakes....








And the sweets......(although these days, sweets are too sweet if you know what I mean)







He suggested I try Pilates.... very gently.....







And swimming, but not breaststroke or butterfly. Yeah like I could even do butterfly.

I am far too uncoordinated and would whip the water to a foam, only to find I had not left the side of the pool..


I spoke to my friend Alva, who's back and knee problems surpass my own. She has also been advised to go swimming. We have made a plan to go together when the children are back at school. (I'm the one on the left)....







I now have six months until he wants to see me again and see what progress I have made....





And so my plan is this, firstly to make a list....


I need to plan my menu, exercise and activity ideas.


Look up my local swimming times.


Work out prices and find my swimming costume.


Look up my local pilates venue and times.


Find prices and travel options.


Meal plan using my Weight Watchers books as a guide.


Find Weight Watchers books.


Set myself a realistic goal of weight loss between now and October.


Finally, make an appointment to see the doctors to get my new prescription.


OK, I think that's enough for now..


So, I'm off to have a cup of coffee, find a pen and paper and get busy...


Next week is the week I will begin. When I order my shopping and it arrives next week, I should be well planned and ready to start... so, wish me luck.. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment