Saturday, 2 April 2011

What a week !!

This whole week has been, what I can only describe as, a nightmare.. I have had a blocked outlet pipe from the washing machine and sink waste pipe, as a result, the water started backing up and emptying out into the kitchen....


Why do these things always happen at 9 o'clock at night??


When the water started overflowing I realised that, not only did I not have the strength to pull out the washing machine but the water stopcock had been boxed in behind the cupboard under the sink. The stopcock, when I did get to see it, had no handle on it....


I did turn off the washing machine so the water did not continue to pump out, however there was the water from the sink that was pouring out until it had all gone and a redundant washing machine hot water hose, that was now refusing to turn off.

It had nowhere else for it's water to go. So it continually filled a bowl that needed emptying every 5 minutes..


Being the ingenious soul that I am, I remembered that you can turn off the water to the house in the garden at the water main.. So I did that.. In the dark... I got Jim to phone for the cavalry...and everyone else to find all the towels to help mop up the water.. Mum and Kevin arrived within minutes. Mum called for back up in the shape of Mark her next door neighbour but one. He came along and realising the size of the job went home for some tools. On his way home he saw a van parked in a mans driveway with a company logo on of a plumbers company. Mark, being Mark, knocked on his door and asked for help... The man had just got out of the bath but was able to come over and at least stem the flow for the time being.. He worked for a company that fixed drains so he was not quite what we needed.. Now we needed a Plumber..


The following day, Mum and I thought of all the people we knew and asked around for someone who knew a plumber. On talking to my Ex-husband, he called a friend of ours to come over and have a look to see, in daylight, if there was anything that could be done..

Mum had Tony, her gardener visiting that morning and asked him.. It turns out, his Brother-in-law is a plumber, and a damn good one too.. Lee is his name, and he is nephew to my good friend Steve.. small world hey??


Lee is a plumbing genius. :)


Richard, the friend that My Ex called came over and pulled out the washing machine, he fiddled around with the pipes but came to the conclusion that I needed a Plumber...Yes, I know..


While Richard was here I got the call from Mum's gardener Tony, that Lee was going to come over and have a look. So Richard and I had a coffee while the expert looked at the problem..



He was most annoyed that everything had been boxed in and I had no access to the stopcock. In an emergency you need to be able to turn things off straight away..


The pipe work was old and corroding but the jungle of pipes and twists and turns of waste pipe was all wrong.. He was not happy about it and wanted to put it right for me :)


He was already on a big job at work and so was going to come over the next day. The job he was on was massive and he could not get away as planned the next day so he arrived yesterday to put everything right again. This actually gave me a chance to clear and dry out the cupboards and floor as Lee had stopped the water flow in this area when he came to check it out the first time.


The cats thought this was brilliant and they were in and out of the cupboards while I had the heater on, there were so many places to go..





It was like a playground and they were playing and sleeping in their new little den..




Cats are just so nosey and want to check everything out...
















Charlie said "Mum, look how good I'm being, I'm not in the cupboard like them naughty cats, oh and I think you need a plumber..."



Lee came yesterday and fixed all the problems with the waste pipes and the washing machine pipes, he has replaced everything, put on new valves, pipes, and most importantly, a massive handle on a new stopcock.. Which he has left visible in the back of the un-boxed-in cupboard under the sink.. He has even put on a valve for the washing machine under the sink too with a nice blue handle on it in case of any more problems...




Without being able to use the washing machine for a few days I have a pile or two to do. Luckily, when it happened I had no piles of washing waiting and so what ever washing we had in the last couple of day is all the washing that needs doing.. So when Lee went, I was like Snow White washing and singing while I cleaned. I put in a load of washing, washed up and let the deers lick the plates clean...





HOWEVER......


When Lee needed to isolate the hot water he looked inside the airing cupboard and found my cylinder has a slow leak and the pipes are also corroded, there are not even any valve handles on the pipes...(what ever that means). Fortunately this is a council property and the responsibility for this is with the council, I called them while Lee was here, but as of today I have not head back from them. It is important but is not a dire emergency. I will call again Monday and get someone out to see it.. I will keep you posted...

Already there is a cat in their....






In other news, the seeds are doing well, these are the beetroot ones :)





And this is my lovely outside tap that Lee re-newed for me while he was doing the pipes...





And look where it comes out....






PERFECT :)


2 comments:

  1. all's well that ends well! Now get that bad fairy whose been visiting to pack her bags and skedaddle. Enough is enough and you hzave had more that your share!
    Lov your sometimes fav adopted Auntie xxxx

    PS - guess waht? I have just restarted my blog 'mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I just found my email sent by you. So you have entered the world of blogging too, we can be neighbours if you want lol.. As for the bad Fairy i'm trying to work out how many things have gone wrong lately and I think it's more than the usual three in a row.. I also left all my packets of seeds in the garden and it rained oopps! so I better get planting because I can't dry them out in the airing cupboard...

    ReplyDelete