Monday, 11 July 2011

Cat's special presents...

It is now mid summer, what on earth have I been up to??? Well, everything and nothing much really. I have had a kind of "bloggers block". There have been many things I wanted to write about but, when It came to it, I couldn't find the words or the time to tell you all about it.

I think I'll start with what the cats have been up to. Mostly bringing in "presents" for us. You can just imagine how many "presents" we get from three cats who think "presents" are a good idea.

Apparently frogs make a loud squeaking noise when a cat bites them and then brings then in the house at 2am.. They make the same noise at 4am too. Initially, I thought it was a dogs squeaky toy that they had found and they were making it squeak.... not so. We have had at least 20 frogs brought into the house and most of them have been helped back into the garden by either myself of one of the children. Sometimes the same poor old frog gets brought back in ten minutes later by the same cat.. We then have to find a better hopping away spot for the frog to go, usually under a bush, half way up the road. Some frogs however have not been so lucky, they have been found dead and dried out behind the sofa...

We have also had a "present" brought in by Charlie. I was hoovering at the time and Katie was calling out to me that "Charlie has a marrow".. Where on earth did Charlie get a Marrow??? ... Not only that, how could he even carry such a large vegetable??.. As the hoover went quiet Katie was still shouting "No, Charlie has a sparrow!!" Truthfully, a marrow would have been preferable... However, we cornered Charlie as he still had the sparrow in his mouth, head first... Katie gently took it from him and held it in her hands. It was on it's back and was clearly distressed.. I took it from her and turned it up the right way. We stepped outside and as soon and the sparrow realised it was outside I felt it suddenly move as if to take off. I held out my hands and away it flew, up into the sky and over the houses far away. That was one lucky sparrow...

Florrie's "present" was not so fortunate. It was the biggest pigeon I have ever seen. It was found, still attached to Florrie and he was growling when ever you came near. Eventually he gave up and ran out the door without his prize. I then had to remove the dead pigeon from behind the television. I wrapped it in kitchen roll and I ceremoniously placed it in the brown wheelie bin..

I forgot to mention that a couple of months ago, the "presents" were all the fish from the pond next door... The house next door had not been let at that time and so, with no one to check, the pond in their garden was slowly drying up. The water at the edge was quite shallow and so Florrie, in-particular, was fishing out the fish one by one and bringing them in to us. One such fish did not die straight away and flapped around for a while on the back door mat. This fish (swimmy) spent the next week recovering in a glass casserole dish on the kitchen worktop until Florrie, despite a large bread board and a stack of books on top, managed to get at Swimmy one more time and poor Swimmy was done for...

As If it couldn't get any worse, Charlie has brought in the "most special present". Not a fish, not a frog, not a pigeon or a sparrow.... No, Charlie's "special present" was half a french stick.... I have no idea where it was from, but if we had a cat flap, he would have never got it through...






No comments:

Post a Comment