Sunday, 18 December 2011

Missing Autumn...



The season of autumn is long gone now and although we have not, as yet, had a real harsh spell of winter weather, there is time yet. The leaves have all but fallen and the trees look decidedly bare. Night frosts have been few and far between. However snow fell for one morning and, by the late afternoon, it was all gone. Next week the temperatures are set to rise to a balmy 10 degrees... So the season is still changing and while autumn tries, in vain to hang on, there is more evidence that it is now winter..

I miss autumn, it is by far my favourite time of year. I'm not a hot weather person, it makes me uncomfortable and lethargic. Don't get me wrong, I love to see the sun and gin clear blue skies, but the heat does me in. Autumn can be cool but still has blue skies and sunshine. The nights draw in and there is less daytime and more cosy evenings. That nip in the air and the hint of night time frosts excites me. There is a feel about the air that only autumn has. I get that "nesting" feeling of wanting to prepare for the winter months ahead. Summer is tied up in a neat bundle and put away, autumn is then spread out like a warm chequered picnic blanket for you to lay on and look up at the blue sky.

We are very fortunate in that, although we live in a town, we also have trees and woodland very close by. You are never far from a small wooded area, a stretch of grass or a small meadow. As you come out of our home there is a bank of Laurel bushes. They are quite tall and act as a natural boarder between us and the houses in front.




These photos were taken in late October or early November. As you leave our house and turn left you enter a small park. Over the top of the hedgerow you can see the top corner of our house. Along these hedgerows grow plum trees and blackberry bushes. This is where I pick berries to make my jam.





Stepping back further you can see the entrance to the park which is over a mound in the corner of the park, through a broken fence. On the left there are the fading blackberry bushes, Mum said something about the devil had weed on them and, by now, any berries left where no good .... The cats have followed us and are wondering what on earth we are up to. This is their territory, they run about this park, in and out of the hedgerows, hunting for mice.



Florrie on the mound as you enter the park.



This tree will eventually turn yellow and orange. It really is pretty.






Florrie and Penny are following us across the park. They will not go much beyond the park to follow us. 



As we cross and then leave the park, we walk down a small alleyway. We come out to the road and Mums house. The doctors surgery is in front of Mums house and they have a lovely apple tree on their front lawn. This too has lovely colours this time of year.




This is facing up the hill as you come out of the alleyway and Mums house is behind me and to the left. We have a lovely and very overgrown woods and small stream next to Mums house where, as children, we used to play.

Down the hill and past Mums house is a very tall and old oak tree with vines and creepers all the way up is trunk. 


Behind this tree is the doctors surgery car park, I spend many a happy weekend scooting around this car park on my bike. It is directly in front of Mums house and, conveniently for me, was shut and empty on the weekends.



This tree and I have a history. It is the curly whirly tree, so called because of it's curly whirly nature. I am sure it is one tree twisted around itself and then branches off in different directions. It is a perfect tree to climb and sit in with your friends. I am quite sure I kissed a boy up this tree.....





This is a beautiful tree, there are quite a few like it in these woods. As children we would try to see faces in this gnarled old tree and, despite its appearance, was impossible to climb due to it's straight up and down nature... Believe me, as a child, I tried...and failed.




Back round the woods and heading home again we come up my side of our street (Mum and I live live in the same street but different sides, it's like a horseshoe shaped street and we live parallel to each other) I know what I mean....

This is the view up our side of the street, there are trees lining the street all the way down. We walk up this street, we turn left again and are nearly home.





At this point we are greeted by Florrie again and Penny isn't far behind.







Back in front of our home you can turn left to the park and this is the view to the right. This tree is my yard stick of what season we are in and are entering. This tree says it is autumn, but as I look out at it today, it is completely bare. It is asleep and waiting for spring.




I do like spring, I love the cool days with a hint of warmer days to come, the days stretch out and we have more hours in our day. We wake and it is light and we can smell new things, the earth is warming, nature is waking up and beginning to grow again.

 But that is a long way off still, winter has yet to give us it's best shot. I do long for spring, but I must admit, I will miss autumn more.




1 comment:

  1. my blog has changed names and has a new address, catch up with me at http://talesofsimpledays.blogspot.com/

    Leanne x

    you dont need to publish this as a comment but there wasnt any email addy listed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete