Monday, 23 April 2012

Making do with what you have...

For now I have no money that is spare. Each week the money that comes in, goes out. Occasionally there is an amount of money that can be used to maintain or repair our home and garden. I budget for every penny. And so there are times when you have to just make do with the things that you already have. We can't afford to buy things every time we need something, so we use what we have.


Today Jim and I set about having a tidy up in the garden. It hasn't really been touched since the autumn. Now that the sun is out and the showers are more frequent, the grass and weeds have begun to grow.


It seemed a good idea at the time to pave over the back garden. When the children were little the mud that was brought into the house was a problem, also the upkeep of the lawn was not easy as those jobs were predominantly left to me. With four children and the housework, there was little time to mow the grass and keep it from turning into a jungle. I wish now that it was all grass, the children are older now and don't make mud pies any more. :(

This morning we tidied up and used a shovel to scrape the grass from between the slabs. We borrowed Mum's lawn mower and cut all the really long bits round the edge.



Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

We also moved the rabbit hutches and tidied the area at the top of the garden.

Behind the hutches are two wicker chairs. The seats have all but disintegrated and so I have used a piece of strong mesh from the old little green house we once had, to make a seat base. For the other I have used a square of wood from the shed. It fits perfectly and when we need to use them, you only need to bring out a cushion.


Before

After

Before


After

In the shed I found a cover that was intended for a patio table and chairs. We only have the chairs and I decided to use it instead as a cover for the rabbits. To keep it in place, I put the ladder on the top.





We also used two upturned recycle boxes to put the hutches on. It makes it easier to clean them out if they are higher. If they are off the floor there is less chance of the hutches becoming damp too.




We have generated a bit of rubbish and it is surprising just how much needs clearing away, most of it will be put in the garden recycle bin.

Not perfect, but much better :)

In other news, I planted up the last of the bedding plants that we bought from Katie's school. I re-used the hanging basket I had last year, or was it the year before? Anyway, I think it looks lovely. :)

When they begin to grow and fill the basket, it will look even better.




I used the rest of the plants in a few pots and a shoe at the front door.





This shoe was left by workmen about five or six years ago at the top of our road. It was left on the grass verge for three days. It had rained many times and I figured they would not come back for it now..

At that time it looked much newer than it does now. I waited until the end of the fourth day and when it got dark I took the shoe and ran home.. 
I threw it over our gate in the alleyway and ran indoors.

I didn't touch it for weeks, just in case someone had seen me and came to re-claim their shoe.. 

They didn't, so I put a plant in it.





So that's it, We are worn out... I'm now eating left over Chilli from the weekend for lunch. Only Tesco on-line to do, make beds, feed the cats and tidy up everywhere :)



No comments:

Post a Comment